Tuesday 15 June 2010

The World Cup so far : My two penneth

This World Cup is officially brilliant! Yes, the goals per game ratio is low and there have been some less than thrilling games in the opening round but it’s the World Cup, people! Besides, the opening set of games in each group is supposed to be cautious and cagey, right? Well, history tends to prove otherwise but I’m willing to accept a trend bucking tournament.
 I feel it’s a shame to be critical of such an event. The Olympics struggles to keep my attention for the most part yet I still marvel at the sheer spectacle of the world’s finest athletes (and archers) gathering to demonstrate ultimately that the USA remain unparallelled when it comes to funding sport. Even the Winter Olympics - 86 different ways to slide on ice/snow - has its merits. In a way.
 Let’s face it, World Cups don’t come around too often. This is only the 7th World Cup of my life that I’ve truly been able to enjoy, the first being Espana ‘82. I was too young to enjoy 1974 and 1978, and England’s failure to quality rendered the 1994 tournament as a mere kick-about. Come to think of it, England didn’t qualify in ‘74 or ‘78 either, but I digress.
 Yes, I love this tournament and I’m going to marry it. The fact it’s being hosted, more or less, in our time-zone is a huge plus. There felt something wrong with having to set an alarm so I didn’t miss Michael Owen sticking one past Brazil in 2002. Some of the games are on whilst most people are at work but you do what you can to keep in touch.
 The tournament’s not without its drama and controversy either. Starting with Henry’s handball in the qualification play-off game which left Ireland sitting at home (get over it guys - we’ve put 1986 behind us…). What about the tear gas and steward demonstrations over the £1.50 an hour salary they are reportedly receiving? Or Robbie Earle’s ticket touting scandal, further contributing to ITV's continuing catalogue of miserable involvement in tournament coverage. Of course, it wouldn’t be a modern World Cup without arbitrary criticism of the new offical match ball. I’m sure I heard someone comment that it was, “too round”.
 Then there’s the vuvuzela - criticism of which has been almost as monotonous as the much maligned fan trumpet itself. In all honesty I like them, so much so that I have the “Vuvuzela 2010” app on my iPhone. I really think a World Cup tournament should have an unusual sonic backdrop. In 1982 there were air horns parping away in the background as Bryan Robson netted against France after only 27 seconds. I only wish our commentators could deliver their commentary over shaky phone lines as they did in the old days. It used to give the viewer a sense that the match was being played on the moon. But then, maybe I yearn too much for the days of yore - the Adidas Tango and Kevin Keegan.
 Perhaps, the World Cup is what you make it. At home I have a wallchart in the kitchen and I’m taking part in various fantasy football/predictions games. Keeping in touch with various blogs, endless fantastic banter on my Twitter feed and, of course, watching as much live action as I possibly can. To many England's involvement is paramount. We all live in hope that England remain in the competition right up until the moment the trophy is presented on July 11th and for many, myself included probably, interest in the tournament may wane somewhat, should we exit prematurely.
 Whilst I feel many are unjustified in their criticism of the quality of football on display, I can sympathise. When a game comes up, we get all excited, check our fantasy teams and sit back demanding to be entertained. After all, these are the best players in the world. Forty five minutes later, with no goals and Gary Lineker rolling his eyes we feel a bit cheated. No instant gratification and I buy that. But, I put to you this. As we approach the completion of the first round of games, the groups are beautifully poised. On form alone, only Germany look a safe bet to romp through to the last sixteen whilst the rest of the groups are finely balanced. It's as if the teams are playing an elaborate game of chess, merely sussing each other out before making a run for it as the group stage comes to a close.
 Anyway, what's not to love? I love the way the ball is ceremonially plucked from a podium by the referee as the teams enter the fray, the way the official tournament mascot looks like an incredibly suggestive Thundercat and even the way ITV never fail to make a mockery out of themselves.
 It's the greatest show on earth & ultimately the tournament may yield a surprise winner. To shamefully mis-quote Gil Scott-Heron, the revolution WILL be televised.

For more inane ramblings feel free to follow me on Twitter @NewcastleDavey“ alternatively:-
To join in the predictions game in Twitter, follow @TOTTfanzine and send them your predictions for each game on a daily basis.
For more thought provoking (and better written) comment, and actual experiences from South Africa, check out George Caulkin’s excellent blog: http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/george_caulkin/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment