Friday 15 October 2010

Pumpkin madness

2007: "I want to play a game"
Yeah, I've been taking Halloween very seriously lately - perhaps too seriously - but not being one to shirk a creative challenge, in recent years I've been attempting to raise the bar in my own field of pumpkin carving.

2008: "Howay the lads"
Cautiously, I've been using Halloween as a something of a smokescreen in an attempt to mask this particularly geeky side of me. That said, it's not easy to procure pumpkins at any other time of year. My early carvings are not worth mentioning - a man, Eric, with circular eyes and a circular mouth (thanks apple corer) was a particular low point but thanks to the once popular practice of circulating amusing jpegs by e-mail, I gained my inspiration.

2008: "Come Together"

Who could forget the cleverly staged scene depicting a pumpkin spewing its insides down some steps. In an instant, the humble, custom of carving a face in the side of a seasonal fruit turned on its head and suddenly, I became intrigued and inspired.

2009: "Aye aye captain"
Of course there is also a culinary by product to almost justify all this madness - left to simmer with some peppers, onion, garlic and stock, pumpkin flesh makes for an incredible soup.




Update: Subsequent efforts include:

2010: Doctor Who

2012: Gus Fring from Breaking Bad

2013: Peppa Pig

2014: Disney fairy

2015: Ghostbusters



No comments:

Post a Comment